Friday, February 24, 2012

President's Day and American Symbols

We spent a lot of time this week learning about our past presidents and American symbols. We made box books about U.S. symbols.



Liberty Bell Box Books



Bald Eagle Box Books

Students chose a U.S. symbol to write about. We had the U.S. Flag, Liberty Bell,  Statue of Liberty,  Bald Eagle, and The White House represented.


U.S. Flag

Liberty Bell

We also did some activities from Traci Clausen's President's Day Unit. The kids made themselves look like George Washington, did an Abraham Lincoln craft, and tucked a book about U.S. symbols in his hat.



I thought these were hysterical!







We also made these adorable Bald Eagles from Deanna Jump's America Unit. So cute!

10 comments:

Marsha McGuire said...

I'm following your blog. Looks like Valentines was fun. Stop over and check out another newbie's blog if you get a chance.
Marsha
http://differentiatedkindergarten.blogspot.com

~Stephanie said...

I love the boxes! What a great idea. I will have to adapt that for my 5th graders.

~Stephanie
Teaching in Room 6

Shannon Sousa said...

Thanks, Stephanie. I am following you, too!

Unknown said...

Great ideas, thanks for sharing! I'm a new follower!
Amy
TheResource(ful)Room!

Shannon Sousa said...

Thanks, Amy!

Holly said...

Oh my goodness - I love all of this!!!! I'm your newest follower!!!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Kim said...

Cute ideas! I'm now your newest follwer!

Growing Up Teaching

3TeacherChicks-Amy Hoffmann said...

Shannon- Congrats! You have won the Liebster Blog award! Go to our blog to claim!

www.3teacherchicks.blogspot.com

Erica said...

I LOVE the books about symbols!
Erica

Sprinkles to Kindergarten

Unknown said...

Words are but symbols for the relations of things to one another and to us; nowhere do they touch upon absolute truth. See the link below for more info.


#symbols
www.ufgop.org

Post a Comment